Deepa Mehta's _Fire_

Chandrasekaran, Periannan Periannan.Chandrasekaran at DELTA-AIR.COM
Mon Jan 25 16:28:29 UTC 1999

Head offering seems to have continued very late into modern times.
I read a news item on the Hindu within the last one year that
reported a fresh archaeoloigcal finding somewhere in Arcot district areas
(...man2n2Ar..?) where they found an inscription dated around
12th century AD that said some body offered his head to the local
god(dess).

I also read in a book titled "takkai rAmAyaNam" edited by
noted archaeologist nAkacAmi that said sometime in the 15th
-16th century AD time frame a body guard of a kAGkEyan king of
koGku country offered his own head to the local god so that
his master, who was without a child for a long time,
would beget a child.

Of course, self-immolation has been quite common in Tamil Nadu;
self-immolation during the 1965 agitation protesting  "Hindi Imposition"
etc.

chandra