etymology of tree name "maraam" and the geography of the mara am t ree

Chandrasekaran, Periannan Periannan.Chandrasekaran at DELTA-AIR.COM
Fri Jan 15 21:09:51 UTC 1999

 Ta. maram = wood or tree.

> > used very frequently in Tamil Sangam era literature
> > to denote the tree called "katampu" or "veN (white) katampu"?
> > It also seems to be referred to as "aachchaa" tree.
>
> This is also strange. Aghach, or aach means 'tree' or 'wood'
> in Turkic languages.

I rememeber reading that there are supposed to be some similarities
between Tamil (Dravidian)  and Turkic-Altaic langauges?
Is that what we are seeing here?

chandra