references to tuLu language in ancient Tamil text

Chandrasekaran, Periannan Periannan.Chandrasekaran at DELTA-AIR.COM
Fri Jan 15 20:10:08 UTC 1999

I was asked the following in reference to a posting titled
"GItOpadesa/Arjuna/Tamil Nadu temples/AzvAr texts".

 Sent: Friday, January 15, 1999 2:49 PM
> To: Chandrasekaran, Periannan
> Subject: Silapathikaram
>

> In ur mail on the Indology list U mentioned that Ilango writes about a
> brahmin from the Tulu coast. Does he specifically refer to
> Tulu or does
> he refer to mangalore. Are there any other references to Tulu in early
> tamil literature.
>
> Thanks.

I had used a label that was misleading textually
but accurate conceptually for  the region.
The text simply says
"vanthEn kuta malai maangkaattu uLLEn"
[Have come I residing in the town of "maangkaatu" situated
in "kutagu mountains"]
kuta malai = kudagu (coorg) mountain
kuta or kutagu  means "west".
 "coorg" is derived from "kutagu".

The text does not use TuLu directly at all.
I apologize for the slip.
I cannot off-hand recall any references to TuLu in Sangam
era tamil texts. The text closest to that region that I know of that
Silappathikaaram mentions is
"karun-aatu" (interpreted to be "Karanatak") in
vanjchikkaaNtam.

 Other forum members might be able to help you
in this regard.

chandra