[q] Seeking information on "hiraNyagarbha" ceremony

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jan 29 13:18:41 UTC 1999

Michael Rabe wrote:
>It's been years, but for what it's worth [without checking], I
> don't think the Pallavas claimed to have performed this ceremony
>[azvamedhas and rAjasUyas, yes].

  Pallavas continue the old tradition. Kings in Sangam texts
  say they performed azvamedhas and rAjasUyas. Recently,
  those Kings' coins have been unearthed (cf. R. Krishnamurti,
  Sanham era coins, Madras) with a horse tied in a post, etc.,

  Trivandram King performed hiraNyagarbha because Kerala was
  originally ruled by ParasurAma. To be saved from the sin of
  brahmicide, they  were told of a parihAra. They performed
  hiraNyagarbha, and as a penalty, every day in the morning they
  donate two pieces of cloth (veshTi) to before entering
  PadmanAbha temple. I hear it is practised even today.

  Regards
  N. Ganesan