Deepa Mehta's _Fire_

Ashish Chandra achandra at WNMAIL.WNDEV.ATT.COM
Tue Jan 26 00:53:37 UTC 1999

Shailendra Dhar wrote :

[...]
What
the Bajrang Dal seeks ..this is not the Hindu ethos we have evolved  in -
any
attempts at transforming this homogenizing and tolerant ethos into a
sectarian
and violent creed akin to some of  of those islamic identities (like in the
neighboring Pakistan) is, above all, impossible ..attitudes and values in a
traditional and ancient  society are  a fruition of thousands of years of
evolution..no sectarian political attempts can alter that.
Sooner these groups realise this the better. Lessons of Babri Masjid
episode are
far too obvious to everyone- when BJP lost  elections in all the states
where it
was in power prior to the demolition. And that was the reason that a
sidelined
and shunted Atal Bihari Vajpayee( who had severely criticised the
demolition the
day after - in my presence ..I am a journalist ) was summoned to
reestablish its
credential among the so called Hindu vote bank. Criticism of  sectarian
 and
communal politics of minorities is one thing and perpetuation of violence
against religious identities is quite another. That the hawkish forces have
used
a tolerant and compassionate Vajpayee-image has always been known to all.
And
also was clear to all that the Hindu majority identifies itself more with a
tolerant and moderate leadership than the adventurists and  fanatics.
Secularism
has never been a slogan in India, it has always been a  way of life-
religious
tolerance again is something inherent to Hindu ethos ..not  a matter of
judgment
or viewpoint. We have more Gods than one can count.
AC:

I am clearly at a loss as to what caused Shri Dhar to write this monologue.
Is it the fact that he got the impression that someone was trying to
belittle, or play down, the dastardly act in Orissa ? Even when there is no
evidence against all the groups that he has named, the same are now being
blamed. I think it serves no Hindu in specific, and no one in general, to
condone such brutal acts of violence.

 Should not one try to
understand that this age old world view cant simply be grafted with  a
hierarchical sectarian outlook just because it suits the political
interests of
a group and just because in the very short term they can sometimes
manipulate
the frustrations of semi- urbanised middle classes of india who like in
most
transitional societies are going though  a very difficult time.

Such attempts are  not only historically misplaced but also outrightly
criminal.

Hardly the frustrations of semi-urbanized middle class Sir. More the
realization that what has been going on in the country for the past 50
years was rabid minorityism. That is not to say that the minorities
benefited from such politics. Rather, the poor man stayed where he was but
stayed divided. You well know the politics of MYD(Muslim-Yadav-Dalit) and
BDM(Brahmin-Dalit-Muslim). Where was the voice of unity ? The middle
classes you have described were more in tune with this realization than
reeling from any frustrations, as you have sought to describe.