Takkai Ramayanam (Was: Deepa Mehta's _Fire_)

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 25 17:07:14 UTC 1999

<<<
I also read in a book titled "takkai rAmAyaNam" edited by
noted archaeologist nAkacAmi that said sometime in the 15th
-16th century AD time frame a body guard of a kAGkEyan king of
koGku country offered his own head to the local god so that
his master, who was without a child for a long time,
would beget a child.

Hi Chandra,

During Nagasamy's days, the first five kANDams of takkai
RamaayaNam were printed. The last Canto, Yuddha kANTam
consisting of 50% of the Ramayanam, about 1650 songs
done around 1590 AD, remains unpublished.

Taken together, this takkai R. is the best tribute
Tamils paid to Kamban. I have the original two bundles
of plam leaves of takkai R. and got them transcribed
onto paper by M. K. Raman (s/o Dravida KavibhUsHaNam
MuttusAmy Ayyar and a student of U. vE. CA),
KambarAman Ramarajan, K. Arunachala Kavundar, V. R. DaivasigAmaNiyAr.

It is interesting that Emperuman eulogizes Morur Nallatambi
wherever Kamban does it for CaTaiyan. I have written
few short notes on takkai R. in Indology.
Read them from archives.

Morur Kangeyar family sponsored Tamil literary feats for
a millennium atleast: 1) Kangeyan Uriccol nighaNTu
2) aDiyArkku nallAr commentary on Cilambu 3) takkai Ramayanam
and 4) PaDikkAsar's PaambalangArar varukkak kOvai....

Best regards,
N. Ganesan