Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN
Sun Jan 24 19:35:17 UTC 1999

I cannot say definitely whether there are or there are not because
I am not a professional. But I have not come across any in the contemporary
period. This is the period in which viSNukuNDins were ruling the
region under question. There are a number of zAsanAs by viSNUkuNDins.
An inscription is a formal document and it will be unthinkable to
refer to the abode ones favourite deity with out the honorific "zrI".
Therefore they used "zrIparvata" in their zAsanAs. For example

dIptyA diGmaNDalaM vyAptaM yasya bAlArkatEjasaH|
satyAzrayasuta zzrIman sa jayatyuttamAzrayaH ||

svasti bhagavacchrIparvatasvAmi pAdAnudhyAtAvApta prajAparipAlanAdhikArANAM
brahmatEjObhRtAM viSNuvikramanayasampadAM viSNukunDInAM
SaDAbhijJa prAtihArya darZanAnugrahajanita sugatazAsanAbhiprasAdasya
vibudhabhavanapratispardhi zObhAsamudayAnEka mahAvihAra pratiSTHApanadhigatA-
nanta brahmapuNya saMbhArasya....

In the above zrIparvatasvAmi can be buddha, skanda or ziva of nAgArjunakoMDa
or mallikhArjuna of zrizaila.

> From "SaDabhijJa" onwards the reference seems to be to buddha.

The reason for the informality in the zAsanAs of 12th century onwards
is perhaps due to the God coming closer to people and being treated more
intimately due to the bhakti movement of vIrazaiva and ArAdhyazaiva.
They were adressing ziva as "you fellow".

regards,

sarma.