Deepa Mehta's _Fire_

Sumedh Mungee sumedh at CS.WUSTL.EDU
Sun Jan 24 20:12:59 UTC 1999

Michael Rabe <mrabe at ARTIC.EDU> writes:

> After thanks to S. Paliniappan and N. Ganesan for their citations, I'm
> forced by the logic of my own
> arguments to note the following tradegy in this morning's news:
>
> January 23, 1999
> Three Burned to Death in India
>               Filed at 10:09 p.m. EST
>  By The Associated Press
> [http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/i/AP-India-Australians-Killed.html]
>
> Bajarang Dal members burn to death an Australian missionary and his two
> sons, ages 8 and 10, after 34 years of working with lepers in Eastern
> India.   Forget about Sita's ordeal, this is more reminiscent of Hanuman's
> burning Lanka.  The indological links have been anticipated by Sheldon
> Pollock, among other places in his article written in response to the
> Ram-janam-bhumi violence:
>
>   Pollock, Sheldon I.  "Ra-ma-yan‡a and Political Imagination in
> India," Journal of Asian Studies 52:2 (May 1993), pp.261-297

Tragedy, eh ? Well, we Hindus are getting used to it. In case you
haven't noticed, Hindus are being massacred every day. But they don't
get burnt in cars - most of them don't own cars, you see..

Here are some pictures for you:

http://www.kashmir-information.com/Atrocities/

Feel free to scroll down the page. Notice that the count of victims is
far more than 3. (Oh, but they aren't Christians)

For comprehensive information about this real tragedy, check out:

http://www.kashmir-information.com/

Any time you want to know about real tragedies, let me know.

Welcome to the real world of the Hindus. There's still a billion of us
alive, you know..

~sumedh