Hindu new years day

Martin Gansten mgansten at SBBS.SE
Sat Jan 23 14:56:27 UTC 1999

>Doesn't the Uttarayana in traditional Hindu astrology begin
>with Jan. 14th (Pongal/makara sankrAnti)? If correct, it is
>like the difference between mesha sankrAnti and vernal equinox.

Yes, you're right; apparently my previous statement was too hasty -- at
least partially. Balabhadra's Horaratna (a 17th century work, but based on
older sources) mentions that 'some' use tropical calculations to determine
the ayanas, but that this should not be done for ordinary purposes, such as
determining auspicious times. Here, Makara/Karka sankranti is used instead.
Obviously this is a survival from the time when these sankrantis really did
coincide with the solstices.

Best regards,
Martin Gansten