Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN
Tue Jan 19 16:05:23 UTC 1999

At 12:10 AM 1/19/99 +0500, I wrote:
>TILINGA or TRILINGA
>
>>From the kUrma vibhAga prakaraNa of mArkaNDEyapurANa
>
>                tiliGgA kuJjari darI kaccha vAsAzca yE janAH |
>                tAmraparNI tathA kukSir iti kUrmasya dakSiNaH ||
>
>Pargiter who prepared the critical edition of this purANa
>said that the word tiliGga stands for telugu.
>(Bibliothaka-Indica.P.367)

The word tiliGga occurs in vAyupurANa also indicating a janapada.

                        ardhpAzca tiliGgAzca magadhAzca vRkaissaha |
                        madhyadezA janapadAH prAyazO.amI prakIrtitAh ||

According to the scholar-poet Arudra the word "teliGgaM" is the
name of sub-tribe of the tribe Gonds.

The word triliGga appears to be sanskritisation of that word tiliGga.
teliGga, tilliGga, tailiGga are also the variations of this word.

        yair dEzais tribhir ESa yAti mahatIM khyAtiM triliGgAkhyayA
                                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
        yESAM kakati rAjakIrti vibhavaiH kailAsazailAH kRtAH |
        tE dEvAH prsarat prasAdamadhurAz zrIzaila kALEzvara
        drAkSArAma nivAsinaH pratidinam tacchrEyasE jAgratu ||
                                      -pratAparudrayazObhuSaNa of vidyAnAtha.

Thus in addition to Andhra, TriliGga or tiliGga is the name of telugu country.

Tamilians called them "vaDugar" and telugu country is called
"vDuga vazhi". The "vaDa nUl" studied by  the pAnDyan chief
"ten2n2am tamizavEL" have a (atleast a remote) chance of being
telugu books. This is because sanskrit already has been mentioned
and I do not think prakrit was on the decline by the 10th century
A.D.

So far an effort has been made to associate the words dhAnyakaTaka,
trikUTa, wi th the telugu country.

regards,

sarma.