Figures and quotas

Dominik Wujastyk ucgadkw at UCL.AC.UK
Sat Jan 16 14:58:59 UTC 1999

Dear Jean-Luc, and colleagues,

I am acutely aware of the continuing growth of volume of the INDOLOGY
postings, which is not matched by a growth in quality.  However, although
there are periods when some threads on the list become degenerate in one
way or another, I do not feel that things are going particularly badly at
the moment.  There are many interesting topics being discussed, and modern
email clients make it an easy matter to arrange inboxes by topic, date,
thread, and so forth.  Client filtering can be used to automatically
delete postings by people who annoy you.

In short, if you are feeling overwhelmed by INDOLOGY, I suggest you take
some time to explore the features of your email client, or upgrade to a
modern program, and take control for yourself of what you read.

I am not at present in a position to moderate the list formally, nor do I
forsee a time when I will be willing or able to do so.

As you will all know, I have few inhibitions about stamping my feet and
shouting at people if I consider they are breaking The Rules, or about
throwing people off the list for offences such as Pradeep Mittal's today.

Since many members of the list find the volume of postings too high, and
the scholarly quality not always adequate, may I exhort all of you who
post to the list

1/ To limit your postings as much as you can
2/ To spend as much time listening as possible, and as little
   time speaking as possible.
3/ To make sure you don't repeat great chunks of previous postings
   as inclusions in your replies.  If you are including more than about
   two lines (yes, TWO) of a previous posting, it is probably too much.
4/ To keep your postings down to a maximum of a screenful.
5/ To remain abreast of the latest journals (JAOS, BSOAS, IIJ, etc.).

Dominik Wujastyk

Dominik Wujastyk
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadkw/wujastyk.html