Hindu elan missionnaire

Shrinivas Tilak shrinivast at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 16 16:57:41 UTC 1999

    Anand Nayak wonders whether there ever was something analogous to
elan missionnaire in Hinduism. Two quick observations on that score: (1)
Professor Arvind Sharma of McGill University, Montreal has written an
article in Numen on a relevant point (I don't have the exact reference
on hand right now); (2) I have a feeling that Buddhism might be
construed as "Hindu" elan missionnaire since the Buddha is recognized as
an incarnation of Vishnu.

Shrinivas Tilak