SV: creation of human kind

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 14 21:53:02 UTC 1999

<<<
The Alvars rarely repeat an entire myth. Their purpose
is not to retell stories, but to _use_ ideas from the
Puranas to illustrate emotion and aspects of Vishnu.
Therefore, their telling of stories will be very piecemeal.

However, when Tirumangai Alvar says Krishna stood
in front of Partha (Arjuna) and the chariot, and graced him,
to what is he referring if not to the Gita? When Tirumalisai
Alvar refers to the great words Krishna the king of Dvaraka
said long ago, what else is this but the Gita? Recall that these
Alvars are contemporaneous or slightly after Sankaracharya,
so it's not as if the Gita is an unknown text at this time,
based on your own assumptions.

Dear Mani,

I did not make any assumptions here, just asking questions.

I generally agree with you: But for Alvars' or Nayanars'
bhakti mass movements, we should not only look in
Hindu traditions (both in Sanskrit and Tamil) but also from
parallel movements within Buddhism and Jainism.

After all, Buddhists and Jains are scolded all the time
by Nayanmars and Alvars. So, not only Hindu materials,
but their opponents' religions were used also.

If you read Naalaayiram, many Rama and Krishna legends
are repeated in different places. But Geethai is a very
small percentage compared to other legends of Krishna
and Rama. That is my surprise.

Regards
N. Ganesan