Consciousness in visishtadvaita

Mani Varadarajan mani at SHASTA.STANFORD.EDU
Thu Jan 14 20:08:34 UTC 1999

Martin Gansten wrote:
> if only attributes can be known, the substance
> itself would be indefinable

Perhaps it is better to say that an object can only be
known through its attributes.

van Buitenen's statement that Ramanuja really does not
mean the svarUpa is based on statements by Ramanuja himself,
if not in the Vedarthasangraha, in the Sribhashya.

In addition to the mahAsiddhAnta, you should also
look at the sUtra (3rd adhyAya, I believe, but I'm not
sure) "jno 'to eva", where the jIva is described as
"jnaH".  Ramanuja definitively writes his opinions on
the nature of the jIva here.

Mani