Pongal/Sankranti

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Thu Jan 14 01:14:19 UTC 1999

Mani Varadarajan wrote:
<<<
Actually, Andal does not refer to the "Pongal" day,
but to the the preparation of sakkarai pongal (sweet
pongal) during the month of maargazhi (December-January)
before Pongal.  The day on which sakkarai pongal
is prepared is known today among Tamil Vaishnavas as
as "kUDArai vellum". Andal describes devotees of Vishnu
happily eating this pongal, sweetened by vellum (jaggery),
and so rich with ghee that it drips to their elbows
as they eat it.

  <<
  What does ANDAL say of Sakkarai pongal?
  Her lines please.

  ANDAL does NOT refer to Sarkkarai Pongal at all.

  What I originally meant was ANDAL says
  on an important day of the month of "thai",
  the month after Maargazhi, she spreads fresh,
  fine sands in the courtyard. In one of her poems
  she says something like: "nuNmaNal parappi"

  If you get me that line, it refers to preparations
  for the Pongal festival. In scholarly forums,
  I generally give quotes, references. Not only
  advice, but reciprocity in references, quotes also
  is expected.

  Best regards,
  N. Ganesan