SAyaNa & Madhava

Sven Ekelin ekelin at BAHNHOF.SE
Wed Jan 13 09:29:09 UTC 1999

On Monday, January 11, 1999, Cezary Galewicz wrote:

     > Can anyone help me with a good reference to 14 -century SAyaNa
     > and his brother(?) MAdhava , their relation, any information
     >  concerning their historical setting and whatever could be
     > usefull when evaluating SAyaNa*s preface to his (?) commentary
     > on RV. What is of interest to me in particular is the
     > following:
<snib>
     >     Thank You in Advance
     >
     > Cezary Galewicz
     > Institute of Oriental Philology
     > Jagiellonian University
     > Krakow, Poland

The following references might be useful. (Of these, # 3 and # 4 are
not available to me right now.)

# 1) The valuable work *SAyaNa and MAdhava-VidyAraNya* by Munuganti
Kripacharyulu, Guntur 1980. Some 200 pages. The author*s PhD.
Available from the author: *6-6-35, Arundelpet, Guntur - 522 002
(A.P.)*.

# 2) *VedabhAshyabhUmikasaMgraha* (collection of SAyaNa*s
commentaries) ed. by Baladeva Upadhyaya. Kashi Sanskrit Series 102,
Varanasi, 2dn ed. 1985. With the editor*s introductions in hindi,
english and sanskrit.

# 3) An important article in *IA* 1916 by R. Nariasimchar.

# 4) I think that some references are given in Verpoorten*s *MimaMsa*
volume in *HIL*.

     > 1) Were SAyaNa and MAdhava realy brothers?

Yes.

     > 2)  What is the source of our knowledge concerning S &/or M
     >     serving as ministers on Vijayanagara courts of Bukka I &
     >     Harihara II?

Mainly introductory verses to the works, colophons to the works, and
inscriptions.

     > 3) How can one understand the very beginning of S*s Preface
     >    whare it is said that it is MAdhava who is going to explain
     >   (vedArtham vaktum) the aim/meaning of the Veda?

Kripacharyulu, pp. 178 - 179 and 182 - 183.

Upadhyaya, p. [49], cf. p. [47].

     > 4)  If S was influenced by his brother*s teachings can one look
     >     on supposedly PM ideas introduced along with Jaimini sutras
     >     as tainted by Vedantic thought?

The question is somewhat unclear to me. Could you re-phrase it?

     > 4) Could there be any possibility of an influence of another
     >    type of ideas  on SAyaNa  through his brother holding the
     >    post of the Head of SmArta MaTh at ZRNgeri?

Questions # 4) and # 4) seem to presuppose that SAyaNa and MAdhava
held different views to begin with. This might be doubtful. Both are
likely to have been VedAntins, MImAMsakas and smArtas.

Sven Ekelin
ekelin at bahnhof.se