SV: SV: Sanskrit translations in Nazi hands

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Tue Jan 12 20:07:48 UTC 1999

N. Ganesan wrote:

> >>  Tamil literature does not know of any Arya meter.
>
> P. Manansala writes:
> *Not even of Arya meter used with Sanskrit?
>
>   Yes, you are correct in this regard.
>

> >>  Aryan in Tamil denotes IA speakers.
> >

> P. Manansala writes:
> *Do you come to this conclusion based on the two quotes thus far
> *presented?
>
>   This point was explained few times here: Not only on the
>   two quotes, Tamil literature has many many instances
>   where Aryan2 means IA speakers and it is exclusively so
>   in Sangam texts.

If this is true, then Tamil linguists identified IA much earlier than
originally thought.  Even Sir William Jones was sketchy about the
relationship of Sanskrit to other Indian languages.  He denied that
Hindi was in any way related to Sanskrit, but otoh believed that most
of what is now known as Austronesian was related to the modern
Indo-European family. However, he believed that Malay, Afghan and Palavi
were related to Semitic.

Could you tell me which writers classfied the Indo-Aryan languages as
"Arya" and which languages were included in that classification?  Did
they consider Tamil as closely related to other Dravidian languages?

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala