request for reading literature.

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 11 22:21:19 UTC 1999

On 28 Dec 1998, Ashish Chandra wrote:
>> Could someone please suggest an old Tamilian/Dravidian scripture
>> that talks of the flight from the North to the South
>> after the "Aryan invasion". I

N. S. Raja replied:
*There isn't any such traditional literature
*or belief.

  Please check puRanAnURu, a Tamil sangam text. There is
  a poem on tuvarApati vEL. (Dvarasamudhram in Karnataka?)
  The poet praises him as a Vellala Chief who moved southward
  from Dwaraka, about 40+ generations ago. The medieval
  commentator says Vellalas moved from Dwaraka of Krishna
  and the expedition was led by the Sage Agastya.

  Also, Check the entry "Tamizh" in AbhidAna ChintAmaNi,
  encyclopaedia of Tamil literature, recently reprinted
  by Asian Educational Services, Delhi. It points to
  many towns and provinces (Ta. nADu) named after
  Northern original names.

  I will type in the relevant puRam, vyAkhyAnam, Ency. of TL
  passages in the future.

  Regards,
  N. Ganesan