FW: Deepa Mehta's _Fire_

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Mon Jan 11 18:58:19 UTC 1999

N. Ganesan wrote:

> P. K. Manansala writes:
> <<<
> The idea of Tantrism having at least some roots in Mahacina (Tibet,
> Assam, Burma, China?) has also been explored. There are quite a bit of
> Sanskrit references to the importance of Mahacina in the development
>  of Tantrism although I don't have any references handy at the moment.
> >>>

>   Have not seen Hubey's writing on African "Siva yet.
>   Where is it done?
>
>   During what centuries, do we have "Siva from Tibet?
>   Want to read on Tibetan "Siva as well. References please.

I was referring specifically to Tantrism rather than Siva.  I have
to stop by the library for references, but a few sources on
Mahacina are:

Brihadnila Tantra
Yoni Tantra

I think the evidence suggests Siva is a composite god based on numerous
traditions.  There is not one single tradition, IVC or otherwise, that
accounts for all the manifestations of Siva.
Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala