The game of non-politics

Partha Banerjee partha at CAPITAL.NET
Mon Jan 11 14:03:27 UTC 1999

>It seems the list is degrading to political discussion and
>to postings that are of little relevance to the academic discussion
>that it aims to purport.  Can the participants restrain from
>getting into political and social topics, which are digressions
>and invite wide divergence of political views?
>Just a request for everyone's consideration..
>
>- BM
___________

If anything is degrading, it is the personal namecalling and disrespectful
language by some listmembers. Political discussions based on personal
respect and mutual sharing of opinions does not diminish merits of scholars
or scholarly discourse. The boundary between academic and political
discourse is often artificial and purposefully retained by a certain
variety of "non-political" scholars who only emphasize an "apolitical"
cure-all when an all-too-well-known game of politics of non-politics is
exposed.

Of course, there is a genuine group of academic scholars that consciously
decides not to get into any political debate, left or right, and we do
respect their decision.

-Partha