FW: Deepa Mehta's _Fire_

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Mon Jan 11 16:32:12 UTC 1999

N. Ganesan wrote:

> There are many instances where "Siva is described
> as red or golden in both Tamil and Sanskrit texts.

Usually a brownish-yellow color in Sanskrit that is often translated in
English as "tawny."

I think though that most see the major manifestations of Siva as rooted
in similar IVC deities.  So the idea of a Dravidian, or at least an
indigenous Siva seems to be supported.  Whether or not there are African
influences is debatable.  Mr. Hubey seems to have explored such possible
relationships.

The idea of Tantrism having at least some roots in Mahacina (Tibet,
Assam, Burma, China?) has also been explored. There are quite a bit of
Sanskrit references to the importance of Mahacina in the development of
Tantrism although I don't have any references handy at the moment.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala