Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Jan 10 23:17:51 UTC 1999

Mr. D.V.N. Sarma writes:
*In my next post I will locate dhAnyakaTaka which chandragomin visited
*in the telugu country (which fact none of the previous postings in
* this thread bothered to mention).

 This is not correct, I am afraid. Taranatha saying "After visiting
 DhanyakaTaka, Candragomin settled in Potalaka of the
 Malaya mountain" was posted two days ago. It was posted
 in the writeups with the title "where was Panini inspired?"
 also long ago.

 Regards
 N. Ganesan
-----------------------------

 Two days ago, N. Ganesan posted:
<<<
Taaraanaatha, the Tibetan lama, says that after
CandragomI prayed to Tara and Avalokitezvara in
DhanyakaTaka and building a hundred temples for
^^^^^^^^^^^^
each of them, he goes to settle down Potalka mount.
Taranatha's history of Buddhism, p. 202ff.
"In the DhAnyakaTaka caitya there, he [=CandragomI] worshipped
TArA and Arya Avalokitezvara and built a hundred
temples for each of them. He went to the
Potala hill and is still living there without
renouncing his mortal body".

 Candragomin who saved Mahabhasya tradition
from extinction settled in Potalaka in the
 deep South, according to Taaraanaatha (1600 AD).
This is consistent with the Tamil
tradition (from 11th century onwards) that
Siddhas' residence par excellence
is Potiyil/Potikai mountain.

Ptolomy calls Potikai(Potiyil) Mountain
as Bettigo. Mahabhaarata vanaparvan has Agastya
in the Malaya mountain. Dandin calls Potiyil
as the Southern mountain(dakSiNAdri).
Dandin's usage parallels with
the earlier Tamil tradition from Sangam era
onwards that Malaya is THE  Southern
mountain. PuRanaanUru and Cilappatikaaram
refers to Himalayas and Potiyil (Malaya)
mountains in the same line. They are
the cultural symbols of North and South
in early Tamil literature.

Candragomin, who saved the Mahabhasya tradition from
extinction went and settled down at the Mount Potalaka.
He is still living there, according to Taranatha.