FW: Deepa Mehta's _Fire_

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Sun Jan 10 00:03:02 UTC 1999

Samar Abbas wrote:

> This indicates that this form of Shiva was an import from Tibet, since he
> is identical in form to the Tibetic Shiva. In short, the Later Tamil SIva
> you describe is probably an import from Tibet, having displaced the
> earlier `Black Siva'.

Siva's description in Puranic and related texts would depend on the
particular manifestation.  As the Kirata hunter in the Mahabharata,
Siva was gold-complexioned.  Among Siva's dark manifestations are
Mahakala "The Great Dark One,"  Asitanga "black-limbed," Nilalohita
"blue-red" and Babhru "brown."

Many Puranas state that Siva at the creation was in the form of a red
and blue, or simply red colored boy who appeared before Brahma.  In the
Brahmananda Purana it states:

        "Many years ago, Brahma desired to create a son who would
be             just like him in appearance.   While he was thus
pondering ,
         a boy suddenly appeared on his lap.  The boy was partly
blue          and partly red in complexion and was known as
         Nilalohita (blue-red)...'Please give me a name,' said the
boy.          "The word 'rud' means to cry and since you have been
crying.  I          give you the name of Rudra," said Brahma."

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala