Pongal: history of word and entity?

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 9 17:03:16 UTC 1999

<<<
This question came up during a food-related discussion (on the northern
khichri vs. southern Pongal).

The point of contention is whether pongal and khichri are equivalent; I
say not: pongal, either as word nor entity, is not the 'hodge-podge'
suggested by 'khichri'. I went out on a limb to suggest that pongal, at
least in the Tamil context, also occupies a different culinary/cultural
niche related to its association with the harvest festival (coming up
next week, and very hard to visualize when surrounded by snow).

Now I come to this group to ask: is this even remotely true? what do we
know about the history of the word 'pongal' (in Tamil and in other
southern languages) and its association with the festival (in Tamil
nadu,
but not in other parts of southern India?)?

Thanks for any insights!

  Pongal comes from the Tamil noun "pongu" (to overflow)
  This is what we do while cooking Pongal outdoors.

  Does dOsai (Ta. tOcai) come from "tOy" (to smear/spread).
  tOcai < tOccalal/tOyttalal?

  It will be good if the etymology of Indian dishes is
  done in an elaborate way. (eg., upmA = uppu + mA)

  The following may be right or wrong, I am telling
  what a friend told me, yet to check Ono. Any info will be
  appreciated: Susumu Ono has written about a Japanese
  festival on the day of pongal. Just as Tamils say
  "pongalO pongal" when Pongal overflows from a new mud pot,
  Japanese say "hungaaroo hungaa". I repeat:
  I have not seen Susumu Ono's books yet.

  Regards,
  N. Ganesan