FW: Deepa Mehta's _Fire_

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 9 13:44:22 UTC 1999

On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, N. Ganesan wrote:
>   There is only one 'Siva.
>   He is of golden color  (pon2n2Ar mEn2iyan2E! - Tevaram);
>   His hair is red (ceJcaTai appan2 in Tiruppan2antAL temple;
>                    aruNajaTezvarasvAmi)

Samar Abbas wrote:
<<<<
The 2 traditions of Siva worship are:
1. Kashimir Shaivism of Tibetic origin, where Siva has the attributes
you describe. This is iconic, and the Tibetic Shiva has the
features you describe.
2. Dravidian Shaivism which is aniconic in ite purest form (eg. the
Lingayats or Virasaivites). There would thus be no iconic evidence
 of hair colour etc. In general the aniconic form of Siva
worshipped is of the darkest material, often considerably
 darker than the surrounding temple material.

  This is not correct, I am afraid.

  Abhinavagupta, a major Kashmiri 'saivaite author says
  'Saivaite themes come from kumarikAdvIpa (tantraloka).

>   'Siva in Tamil texts is NOT black either.
<<<
Later Tamil texts may have some Aryan and/or Tibetan influence. One must
analyze the `pure' Dravidian religion of the `Outcaste' Dravidians
living
in isolated jungles to find if their Siva is white. As per my knowledge,
he isn't.

>   Only his throat is dark/deep blue.

<<<
This indicates that this form of Shiva was an import from Tibet, since
he
is identical in form to the Tibetic Shiva. In short, the Later Tamil
SIva
you describe is probably an import from Tibet, having displaced the
earlier `Black Siva'.

  The earliest Tamil sangam texts describe 'Siva as I
  have written. Veerasaivism in Karnataka which is
  few centuries later also describe 'Siva the same way,
  nor does Kashmir Shaivism.

  I have not heard of Tibetan 'saivaite texts.

  Regards,
  N. Ganesan