Q. re: varna/caste

Partha Banerjee partha at CAPITAL.NET
Sat Jan 9 00:08:46 UTC 1999

>We are seeking a scholar to write a chapter on _varna_ (caste), based on
>knowledge of classical Hindu texts for our forthcoming book the _Hindu
>World_ (Routeldge).
>
>Regards,
>Sushil and Gene
_____________________

I hope when someone writes a chapter on the caste system in Hinduism, he or
she writes about the historical exploitation aspect of it, i.e., how varna
custom with its extreme rigidity has oppressed the so-called lower castes
and untouchables in South Asia, and consequently, how many millions of
Hindus have left their religion to find refuge in other systems that are
relatively free of this social menace.

I want to quote Swami Vivekananda here:

"The Mohammedan conquest of India came as a salvation to the downtrodden,
to the poor.  That is why one-fifth of our people have become Mohammedans.
It was not the sword that did it all."  (Complete Works, Vol. 3: p. 294)

We can quote other social reformers such as Ambedkar and Jaya Prakash
Narayan in this context.

I wish _Hindu World_ well.

-Partha Banerjee