Sanskrit translations in Nazi hands

Robert Zydenbos zydenbos at BLR.VSNL.NET.IN
Fri Jan 8 09:43:34 UTC 1999

At 09:11 04.01.99 -0500, Walker Trimble wrote:
>hidden and missing links between cultures have also had fascist leanings.
>This seems to be the case from Max-Mueller (though his is rather weak)
>through Eliade, Dumezil, Jung, even the popular Joseph Campbell and on.

Jung and Campbell? Jung is precisely the psychologist who documented, in a
short series of articles based on his findings with German patients, the
rise of a collective psychological disturbance north of the border, which he
identified as fundamentally unbalanced and unhealthy (this manifested itself
in dreams in which the 'blond Bestie' figured). He compared this development
to the increasing prominence of an archetypical type of which the Nordic god
Wodan was an illustration, and he was not at all pleased with all this.

>Also, consider how many Modernest writers and poets who also espoused a
>kind of "Universal Consciousness" were fascists: T.S. Eliot, W.B. Yeats, of
>course many of the Surrealists. . . Why?

Jung explains why. (Sorry, since I do not have my Jungs with me, I cannot
give anything like a precise reference. I do recall that the '(anti-)Nazi'
articles were translated into English too in a separate, slim volume with a
vague title like 'Thoughts on Tendencies in Our Time' or something, and one
of them was titled (something like) 'The Return of Wodan'.)

>Eribon, Didier.  Faut-il Br^uler Dum'ezil?__Paris:      Flammarion, 1992.

Je pense que non.

RZ

Dr. Robert J. Zydenbos
Mysore (India)