'sari' (Attn: H M Hubey)

Samar Abbas abbas at BETA.IOPB.STPBH.SOFT.NET
Fri Jan 8 18:14:32 UTC 1999

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, H.M.Hubey wrote:

> I was wondering if this word is relatively new, say dating
> from the early Mogul period or something. Or else it is a remarkable
> coincidence. Sari means "yellow", and the word
> "sar" also is a verb meaning "to
> wrap".

  I agree with you that the sari originated during the Delhi Empire or
Great Moghul Sultanate. During the pre-Delhi period, both men and women
wore dhotis, the female dhoti covering the upper part of the body as well.
Later, various names were applied to this garment, but it was never called
`sari' in the pre-Delhi epoch. Due to the influence of smrti-writers (Manu
et al) the entire body had to be covered, and this garment appeared like a
wrap around the body. The Abbe Dubois states that the bodice, so much a
part of the modern sari, was introduced by the `Mohammedans'. In general,
one can apply the word `sari' both to:
- The full-body wrapping worn in rural areas where Manu's laws are still
followed, the `Aryan sari' and
- The Hindustani sari, with the bodice and the midriff exposed.

But technically, sari should only be applied to the latter dress. The
former should be referred to by its Sanskrit names. One can derive the
Hindi sari from the ancient pre-Islamic dress or from the dress of
Arab-Islamic belly-dancers. The latter is more likely.

Samar