Deepa Mehta's _Fire_

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at KABELFOON.NL
Thu Jan 7 16:38:18 UTC 1999

Hi Samar

you made your point, but then again what's hinduńsm?

SA> This 30 %, in a democracy, can't enforce values on the 70 %. That's why
SA> the attempts to enforce singing of Vande Mataram and sacrifices to
Bharat
SA> Mata on a daily basis failed.

SA> But the film continues to run outside Mumbai. And the sculputeres still
SA> stand in the temples. As long as Orthodox Vaishnavites comprise only 30
%
SA> of the population of India, and the bulk of observers think that
ancient
SA> India was akin to ancient Greece in its prudery, such films will
continue
SA> to be made.

I think you're mistaken here, I cannot tell from experience, but being
familiar with Plato's Symposion and remembering stories about cynics and
knowing many a antique Greece myth, the qualification of prudery doesn't
seem to me to be fitted for Greece in the mentioned period. Michel Foucault
in his 'History of Sexualitiy' rejects this view as well. It seems to me
that pudery is inevitably linked up with semitic religions. Those Arabs and
Jews seem to have sexual problems. Christianity introduced prudery into
Europe and Greece and the moslims did the same in India and other countries
in the Far East.

Regards
--
erik

  Erik Hoogcarspel           <    jehms at kabelfoon.nl     ><
Boerhaaveln 99b     >
                             <    tl+31.(0)104157097    ><       3112 LE
Schiedam    >
                             <    fx+31.(0)842113137    ><       Holland