SV: Sanskrit translations in Nazi hands

Alf Hiltebeitel beitel at GWIS2.CIRC.GWU.EDU
Thu Jan 7 19:20:21 UTC 1999

I agree that Sheldon Pollock's article, cited below, is indispensible
reading to anyone who wants to think seriously about the issues raised,
but it is quite a stretch to say that he "claims that the academic
standards of these scholars were impeccable." Having just reread the
pertinent pages, I see what might be quoted in that direction: "They are
for the most part unimpeachable with respect to scholarly 'standards'"
(p. 94). But those quotation marks around "standards" are not making it
into the paraphrase. To interpret them, one may turn two pages:
"Whatever other enduring lessons this may teach us, it offers a superb
illustration of the empirical fact that disinterested scholarship in the
human sciences, like any other socal act, takes place within the realm of
interests" (96). For a "closer reading" of some pertinent NS period
German Indological texts, see Carlo Ginzburg, "Germanic Mythology and
Nazism: Thoughts on an Old Book by Georges Dumezil," in _Clues, Myths and
Historical Method_ (Baltimore: Johns Hopkins Uniersity Press, 1989), pp.
126-45.

Perhaps it is a question of whether anything can rise to the level of
unimeachability.

Alf Hiltebeitel
Director, Human Sciences Program
Columbian School Professor of Religion and Human Sciences
The George Washington University
Phillips Hall 412
Washington, D.C., 20052
202/ 994-4297