Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.-1

DEVARAKONDA VENKATA NARAYANA SARMA narayana at HD1.DOT.NET.IN
Thu Jan 7 04:55:14 UTC 1999

At 03:13 PM 1/6/99 EST, Sudalaimuthu Palaniiappan wrote:
>Considering its length, I am splitting the posting into multiple parts.
>
>In a message dated 1/5/99 1:02:49 PM Central Standard Time,
>chris_fernand90 at HOTMAIL.COM writes:
>
>> But "in the language of the dAkSiNAtyas",
>>  with the use of the definite article, means that the Classical
>>   authors  were using the term dAkSiNAtyas to refer to the
>>  speakers of one particular language.

I wonder whether Asok Aklujkar meant it. But since this is based
on translation of sanskrit passages and sanskrit does not have articles
"a", "an" and "the", I think drawing any conclusions from it will be
misleading.

>I agree. While theoretically dAkSiNAtyas could mean southerners in general,
>the references given by Aklujkar lead to the conclusion that for this
group of
>Classical authors cited, the dAkSiNAtyas were Tamil speakers. If one were to
>wonder why specifically Tamil speakers were indicated by the term
dAkSiNAtyas,
>a valid reason can be given.
>
>In the inscription South Indian Inscriptions Volume 14, No. 87, I cited
>earlier, the name of the officer who was well-versed in mahAbhASya was
>"ten2n2avan2 tamizavEL". The first word in his name "ten2n2avan2" means "the
>southern one" and could be described in Sanskrit as "dAkSiNAtya". The second
>word in the name "tamiza" is an adjectival form of Tamil or "drAviDa". (If a
>dot is implied orthographically over "za", then it could be the nominal form
>tamiz.)

This will be valid if the definite article "the" is there which I think is
unlikely.

regards,

sarma.
<snip>