Sanskrit translations in Nazi hands

Walker Trimble wytrimbl at SAS.UPENN.EDU
Mon Jan 4 14:11:26 UTC 1999

This might be the time to ask other Indologists and those interested in the
history of Indology why so many thinkers who have attempted to find the
hidden and missing links between cultures have also had fascist leanings.
This seems to be the case from Max-Mueller (though his is rather weak)
through Eliade, Dumezil, Jung, even the popular Joseph Campbell and on.
Also, consider how many Modernest writers and poets who also espoused a
kind of "Universal Consciousness" were fascists: T.S. Eliot, W.B. Yeats, of
course many of the Surrealists. . . Why?
Since so many of the great Indolgists in the last two centuries are and
have been Westerners, studies in the attempts to coalesce the thought of
East and West would have some hermeneutical value for the discipline.
I am now reading a book which explores Dumezil's possible fascism, some may
find it interesting:

Eribon, Didier.  Faut-il Br^uler Dum'ezil?__Paris:      Flammarion, 1992.