The Aryans (again); 19th century discourse.

Yaroslav V. Vassilkov yavass at YV1041.SPB.EDU
Sun Jan 3 18:44:40 UTC 1999

On Jan. 4 Ashish Chandra wrote:

>......just to let Yaroslav know, I am not advocating
>any Out-Of-India theory. I don't even know of it...

        Dear Ashish, you have really surprised me. Can it be so that you have
never read the books and articles which are so popular in India now? And if
you really do not know what Out-of-India theory is, then what theoretical
concept at all enables you to attack so bravely the Aryan Migration theory,
which was built by mutual efforts of many generations of best scholars,
both in India and in the West?

> people endowed with my level of
>intellect see in the AIT pushers a part of a vast Western conspiracy to
>undermine India.

        So you believe in a vast Western conspiracy against India. But can
you tell me in what way this your belief differs from the belief of some people
in other countries that all the troubles of their nation are due to the global
conspiracy of Jews, of Freemasons, of Western powers, or, let us
say, as some Pakistani hotheads may think, of Indians - and so on... This
belief is closely akin to such ideas as "our nation is most ancient", "our
ancestors inhabited this territory since the beginning of the world", "our
people are most wise", "our blood is pure and we never mixed with other
people" and the like. All such beliefs are the perfect examples
of MYTHOLOGICAL thinking. If one prefers to think on this *level* - well,
why not, millions of people think this way (and sometimes it is very
convenient, to be irrational)
but one should realize in such case that this is the MYTHOLOGICAL way of
thinking, that is - the very opposite of the rational, logical, scientific
thought.

           I am not going to continue discussion on this topic. We have already
broken the rules. The fault is on me: you are new on this list and did not
know probably that the topic of "AIT" is taboo (after so many discussions which
always ended in the blind alley).

           All the best
                                                Ya.V.