Malaya 5th. cent corrected

Chandrasekaran, Periannan Periannan.Chandrasekaran at DELTA-AIR.COM
Mon Feb 22 15:05:16 UTC 1999

 A tEvAram publication says that cIrkAzi is called
caNpai (among about a nearly dozen other names)
after the type of grass and associates that grass with KrishNa
atoning at the cIrkAzi temple for his guilt regarding the destruction of
his clan due to campai grass.
It must also be noted that cIrkAzi seems to have been within the limits
of the ancient pUmpukAr metropolis. UVS Iyer states that sOmatIrtam and
cUryAtIrtam
of the nearby popular temple "tiruveNkATu" (swEtAraNyam)
must be the same as the cOmakuNTam and cUryakuNTam of pUmpukAr
mentioned by cilappatikAram and hence
the temple itself have been within the pUmpukAr metropolitan area.

chandra