On prana.s.ta versus pra.na.s.ta

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Sun Feb 28 04:07:19 UTC 1999

These rules of retroflexion are not only complex, they are often
unpredictable.  John Brough remarks: "In spite of the struggle to reduce
this complicated situation to a series of rules, the junction of upasargas
seems to have been particularly resistant to systematic formulation."
(Brough's edition of the Gandhari Dharmapada, 1962, p. 107).  Some of this
instability may be reflected in the variants of the Mahabharata.
                        Madhav Deshpande