Re Potala(ka), etc

Venkatraman Iyer venkatraman_iyer at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Feb 26 18:47:59 UTC 1999

<<<<

On 26-Feb-1999, Dr. Chevillard writes:

> As for geography, I very much doubt one can make any
> precise deduction from it.

   I am little confused here. Does *malaya* in maNimEkalai 1-3
   does not belong to Potikai/Potiyil?

   UVS, the great editor says so. Also, A. Danielou and T. V. Gopal
   Iyer do the same.

   If Chevillard DOUBTS UVS' and T. V. Gopal Iyer's identification
   of *malaya* in Manimekalai 1-3 with Potikai, what is his guess?

   CAminAtaiyar and KOpAlaiyar equate *Malaya* to Potiyil/Potikai.
   This is well grounded both in Sanskrit and Tamil traditions.

   CilappatikAram's usage of *malaya* as *potiyil*:
   a) malayattu OGki maturaiyin2 vaLarntu ...
   b) malayattu Ekutum vAn2 pEr imaya
      nilayattu Ekutal nin2 karuttu Akalin2 ...
   c) malaya mArutam tiritaru maRukil ...
   d) malaya mArutam man2n2avaRku iRukkum ...
   e) malayattu Aramum maNi muttu aaramum ...
   f) nItu nilai malayam piRpaTac cen2Ru AGku...
   and so on.

   CilappatikAram predates Manimekalai by a century or so
   and so there is really NO surprise in maNimEkalai using
   *malaya* as Potiyil and *malayattu arum tavan2* as Agastya.

   V. Iyer