P'u t'o island known ONLY from 9th century AD

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 24 19:57:52 UTC 1999

Petr Mares provided an abstract of a Guanyin by Dr. Pa Chou.
The article claims that P'u t'o is known from 5-6th centuries.
This is contrary to the available evidence. It is known only
from 9th century AD.

Pl. read, Chun-fang Yu, P'u-t'o Shan: Pilgrimage and the Creation
of the Chinese Potalaka, Univ. of Califonia, 1992 to see that
P'u t'o is known only from 9-10th centuries AD onwards.

I think Pa Chou is writing as a Guanyin devotee rather than
with textual or archaeological evidence. (Like K. N. Sarasvati
on navagrahas - daughter of KaDalanguDi Natesa SastrigaL).

Pl. read a personal letter:

<<<
Dear Dr. Ganesan,

 I read the article by Pa Chou sometime ago but do not remember his
 saying that P'u-t'o was already a Buddhist pilgrimage site in the
 5th-6th century. I will reread it again, but from everything I have
 read, the island was not known to the Buddhists prior to the 9th
 century as I stated in my article.

Best,

Chun-fang

Petr Mares suggested going thru' Dunhuong manuscripts.
Experts have informed me that there is almost NO chance
that those mss. will talk of P'u t'o island as Guanyin's home.

Regards,
N. Ganesan