Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.

Petr Mares erpet at COMP.CZ
Sat Feb 20 15:19:31 UTC 1999

> Why is there a FOUR HUNDRED year difference in the dates of P'u-t'o
> becoming famous between Prof. Chun-fang Yu and the buddhist Ba1 Zhou4?
> Religionwallahs push back the dates usually.
>
> May be Petr Mares can explain.

Dear Mr. Madhuresan

Actually prof. Ba1 Zhou4 has been a buddhist monk in his youth
but then he went to study in USA and now he either teaches in
some University or he is retired already, but he most probably is
not practising Buddhist. I would suggest Mr. Ganesan contacts
him and asks (I can try to get his email from the Chinese mailing
lists). He is known between American Buddhologist as well as
Sinologist concerned with Chinese Buddhist culture. His studies
were always aimed from the viewpoint of scholar without any
religius sauce. I read his excellent study of Central Asian
Buddshist scripture from the Tang Dynasty called "22 question on
Mahayana" and it was perfectly founded research.
Just for the reference (in case you find somebody who reads
Chinese) the whole article is here:
http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-BJ001/01_03.htm
and the English and Chinese abstracts are here:
http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/CBS-
bin/eeach_record.pl/CBSBOOK919523754:002169
I did not read the whole article but both Chinese and English
abstract talk about 6th cent.

Sincerely

Petr Mares

PS:
I can find more info on the Chinese Pu3 Tuo2 Shan1 but it will be
just references without any deep study.