Word splitting & hyphenation conventions in roman transliteration

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Feb 20 12:57:06 UTC 1999

>why have the speakers of malay, swahili, javanese, turkish etc. etc.
>all dumped their old scripts in favour of roman?

  In Indonesia and Vietnam too, I think. What are the
  other countries using Roman apart from many European
  countries?

  On the one side, major european languages are written
  in roman script. On the other end of the spectrum,
  grammars of tribal languages with NO writing history are formulated
  and written in Roman script eg., Papua New Guinea or
  Native American languages.

  Hence, Roman script is truly universal and common to the
  World. In India, roman script will transcend all linguistic
  (IA and Dravidian) and religious limits (Hindu and Muslim).

  In addition, Roman will be a good improvement for international
  communications. The world is shrinking afterall.

  Regards,
  N. Ganesan