Kashmir, Tamilnadu, Panini, Abhinavagupta, etc.

N. Ganesan naga_ganesan at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Feb 17 17:04:15 UTC 1999

DVN Sarma writes:
>One potala is a geographical place. The other potala is
>a mystical place sacred to the buddhists as is vaikuThaM for
>vaiSNavAs and kailAsaM for saivAs. We see this mystical Potala
>in TArAnAthA's book on page 246 (Motilal Banarasidas, 1990.)

  May be I am not clear enough.

  There is Mt. Kailas in 'Saivaite mythology and mysticism;
  This mythical Mt. Kailas, abode of 'Siva, is based on
  a REAL Mount Kailas in the Himalaya mountains.

  There is Mt. Potalaka in Buddhist mythology and mysticism;
  This mythical Mt. Potalaka, abode of Avalokitezvara, is based on
  a REAL Mount Potiyil/Potikai/Potiyam in the Malaya mountains.

  Regards,
  N. Ganesan