Malaya location in 5th cent.

Petr Mares erpet at COMP.CZ
Tue Feb 16 20:37:56 UTC 1999

>   Taranatha is very late. Seventeenth century AD.
Dear colleagues
>   Even though earlier Chinese texts put Mt. Potalaka
>   in the Malaya mountains, post tenth-century tradition
>   puts the Mountain Potalaka in an island. Hence the
>   sea voyage.
Let me tell you interesting thing regarding the location of Malaya as it is mentioned in the Lankavatara sutra.
 The Sanskrit text has oldest manuscripts just few hundred years old (mostly 17th cent. but the
 first Chinese translation of Gunabhadra written in the beginning of the 5th century
 has perfectly preserved manuscripts from 7th or 8th century and they show much older layer of the text than the
Sanskrit as we have it now at least for many parts.
In the Gunabhadra translation a location of the discourse is
mentioned just twice. The passage in the very beginning is
probably not of the oldest layers as is the other part where the
Malaya is mentioned. The begining is not in the manuscripts - it
has rotten away. In the received vesrion of the text which is based
on manuscript no older than 12 century however we can see the
place as "the top of the Lanka mountain on the SHORE of the
southern sea"

In the second mentioning in the text that survived even in the
chinese manuscripts and which is probably the begining of the
sutra in its early form, there in this text from the 420 A.D. in
manuscripts from 7th or 8th cent. is Buddha requested to preach in
the kingdom of Lanka on the mountain of Mala (MaLaShan)
(received version from the 12th cent. manuscript has MalayaShan)
IN THE OCEAN. I wonder if this word "Mala" can suggest any
meaning in Sanskrit language especially in the passage bellow.

The Sanskrit text of Buniyu Nanjio has for this passage which is
probably the earliest opening of this text we have now following:
II de/Sayatu me
bhagavam/Scittamanomanovij~Napa~NcadharmasvabhAvalakSaNa
kusumadharma(paryAyam) (also -kusuma or -kusumamapa)
buddhabodhisattvAnuyAtam sva-(also yAtasva-)
cittadr/Syagocaravisamyojanam sarvabh(-ASya) (also -
Spam)yuktitattvalakakSaNavidAraNam
sarvabuddhapravacanah.rdaya la.NkApurigirimalaye nivAsino
bodhisattvAnArabhyodadhitara.NgAlayavij~NAnagocaram
dharmakAyam  tathAgatAnugitam prabhASasva II

Can somebody please help me and translate this Sanskrit opening
above? the transcription is of TITUS-Ascii.

Sincerely

Petr Mares