On 'patra/pattra' again!

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Sun Feb 14 17:08:41 UTC 1999

If I may continue this discussion a little further, while I have some
references in front of me, I would suggest that there is a circularity
between spellings of Sanskrit words and their perceived etymologies.  For
example, consider the variants putra/puttra.  It is obvious that the
variant puttra allowed the folk-etymology put+tra, where -put- is said to
be the name of a hell, from which the son protects the father (pun-naamno
narakaad yasmaat traayate pitaram suta.h).  On the other hand, the reading
putra allowed the derivation pu+tra.  Here the affix tra (.s.tran in the
U.naadisuutra) is added to the root puu.  But this requires the shortening
of the vowel of the root, which is explicitly prescribed by the
U.naadisuutra : puvo hrasvaz ca.  Thus, we have two alternative
etymologies, besides the fact that Panini considered this word as
underived, giving us no specific clue as to whether it should be
'originally' putra or puttra.  In my opinion, the phonological variation
is in all likelihood the more primary fact, while the etymologies are
simply rationalizations, after the fact.
        Best,
                                Madhav Deshpande