A simple question for Sanskritists

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at UMICH.EDU
Sat Feb 13 12:07:30 UTC 1999

It should be noted that doublets like patra and pattra are allowed by
Panini's optional rules of consonantal doubling, cf. Panini 8.4.47.  This
sort of doubling is purely a case phonological variation, and is not
connected with etymology.  In some cases, however, the occurrence of
geminates is directly related to the etymology of the words, e.g. tattva,
dattvaa etc.  Thus, we have phonological variation for vartate/varttate,
but v.rtti has to have two t-s.
        Best,
                                Madhav Deshpande