More on word splitting and hyphenation in transliteration

Avinash Sathaye sohum at MS.UKY.EDU
Tue Feb 9 20:49:13 UTC 1999

In his latest letter, Harry Spier made his original question very clear and
I would like to propose a solution as follows.

As I understand, the problem is that one likes to have the roman text follow
the devnagari saMhitaa version closely to help recitation/recognition but it
is better to have split words to help analysis. How about using a centered
dot · in place of a space.
For example write tv·asti in place of tv asti or tvasti. if this is done
systematically, then a computer can easily perform the necessary analysis as
well.

In his version of Ashhtaadhyaayii, S.M. Katre had indeed used the symbols -
and = to break words, where one indicated a samaasa and the other a sandhi.
While logically correct, the symbols are distracting to read and recite. It
would be nice, however, to come up with another non distracting symbol.

BTW, the center dot is has ascii code 0183, in standard roman font. They are
the same in the csx font.
if you want to type it in. It is possible to use a bold version "•" too,
namely the ascii code 0149, but I don't know if it is sufficiently distinct.

--
|Avinash Sathaye Phone:(606)277-0130(Home), (606)257-8832(Office) |
Web page: www.ms.uky.edu/~sohum