questions: hymns, latAveZin, manner of death

Stephen Roach & Fabrizia Baldissera oblivion at CHIANTINET.IT
Sun Feb 7 16:46:10 UTC 1999

Dear members,
I am translating a work of Kshemendra and have the following questions:

1) do you know of an
ashTAvatArastotra ? (especially in Kashmir?)+

2) after a quotation from StavacintAmani 1 and 2, there is the following
verse, which I have not been able to place:
sarvAnandasvarUpAya sarvamangalyahetave/
sarvakleZApahartre ca cidrUpabrahmane namah

(it may be an invention of Kshemendra, or a stock formula ). Has anyone come
across it from other contexts?

3) Has anyone read in any text the term latAveZin ? I took it to be a
magician who makes creepers possessed for the sake of prognostication.

4) Could any of you provide a reference (from the SUtras or the PurAnas,
perhaps) to the fact that evil people exhale their last breath from the
anus?

I'll be very grateful for any suggestion.

Fabrizia Baldissera
associated professor of Sanskrit language and literature
Universit� degli Studi di Firenze
Dipart. di Linguistica
Piazza Brunelleschi 4
50121 Firenze