On zankara's date - 2 (The view of Dvaraka Math)

Wed Dec 29 20:43:05 UTC 1999

Yashwant Malaiya <malaiya at CS.COLOSTATE.EDU> wrote:

>The oldest known texts in India are a few, extremely rare
>pre-Ashoka texts, among them the Sohgaura copper plate and

I guess that answers one of my questions.

>the Mahasthan inscription, perhaps from Chandragupta Maurya's
>period. Sohgaura copper plate has been stolen and is in some
>private collection.
>
>Thus if the Sudhanva plate exists, it would be an extremely
>important object.

Indeed. I doubt that it exists. If it does exist, it has never been made
available for critical examination. Of course, even if something like this
does exist, its genuineness will have to be proved. The published Devanagari
script text of the claimed plate is in classical Sanskrit, not Prakrit/Pali.

Vidyasankar