On zankara's date - 2 (The view of Dvaraka Math)

Somayaji Rajagopala SSRVJ at AOL.COM
Wed Dec 29 15:52:56 UTC 1999

In a message dated 12/28/99 7:01:19 PM EST, vishalagarwal at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

<< 788-820 CE dates that have generally come to be accepted in India. >>
I think the statement "generally come to be accepted in India" seems to be
NOT correct.The Aamnaaya Peetams in Dwaraka and Puri have not accepted 788
.C.E.as is evident from the discussions itself.The Kamakoti Peetam at
Kanchipuram,which is not an Aamnaaya Peetam,but has a reasonable following in
Tamilnadu claims 500-600 B.C.E. as the Period of Acharya
sri.Sankara.(Co-insiding with 6th Century B.C.E. of Dwaraka's and Puri's
claim).They claim a continuous chain of 70 "Peetaathipathis" starting with
Acharya sri.Sankara (Kamakoti official Home-Page) in 2500 years,(of whom 3
"Peetaathipathis names are given,who are claimed to have lived to a ripe old
age of 100 years) as against Sringeri Peetam's claim of 36 "Peetaathipathis"-
(in 1200 years)"in the line of Succession from Adi Sankara"( Sringeri Peetam
official Home-Page).I srongly feel the "Astronomical Information" ,if
carefully analysed with other Internal Evidences(Archealogical etc) may
settle these controversies at Rest, once and for all. Ofcourse I have read
the books of Sri.K.R.Venkatrama Iyer  and Sri.S.Y.Krishnaswamy Iyer(-later-
sri.Gjnaanaanadha Bharathi ).I had a long personal discussion on this subject
at Enaathur with Dr.Nagaswami also,when he was the Vice-Chancellor of
Sri.Chandrasekarendra Saraswathi (Deemed) University.So I feel the question
is still "Open"-nothing can be said to be settled "As on date"