Mimamsa, Vedanta etc.

Tue Dec 28 21:17:14 UTC 1999

>C.Sivaramamurti seems to have decided that since the panel represented
>an ekadandin, that must be sha.nkara. A hypothesis only, but not
>completely unjustified I would say. Especially considering the fact
>that the ekadandin seems to be a youth, while the other two are very
>old. But, definitely the young person in the sculpture represents an
>advaitin. None one other than advaitins carry ekadaNDa and
>K.A.Venkataramans contention that they could be pAshupatas is quite
>absurd.

The contention about pASupata ascetics was with reference to figures from
the kAyArohaNa temple and some others, not the one pictured in
Sivaramamurti's book. Since the publication of Sivaramamurti's book, a
number of other sculptures have been also identified as representing
Sankara. And yes, ekadandin need not mean Sankara. The figures have to be
studied impartially, without letting any preconceptions cloud one's
judgment. Frankly, that seems quite impossible as of now.

Vidyasankar