Economist : The world language

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at ONLINE.NO
Thu Dec 23 23:11:03 UTC 1999

> Looks like English has a bright future in the coming millennium.
> The Economist article is very enlightening.
> Today, India. Tomorrow, unofficially, the world. That is well under
> way; at first, because the British not only built a global empire but
> settled America, and now because the world (and notably America) has
> acquired its first truly global-and interactive-medium, the Internet.

The power of English is a direct consequence of the combined influence of American popular entertainment and knowledge production, not to mention economic and military clout. English will dominate for as long as America rules and perhaps a bit longer, just as Latin dominated Europe for quite a few centuries after the collapse of the Roman empire. But no language rules for ever. Maybe we'll all speak Chinese a few centuries from now.  A thought for the new millenium? It would be interesting to make a poll in the year 2000: Which language will dominate the world in the year 2500?

Our descendants 500 years from now might get a heap of fun out of it.

Have a nice new millennium everybody on the list: Don't miss this terrific opportunity for a party. I see a lot of alternative New Year parties out there in the fog and mist, Jewish, Muslim, Hindu: I wouldn't like to miss any of them. The older you get, the more your party time options run out. Don't confine yourself to your own culture: Crash hanukka, divali, holi, etc etc. You can squeeze it all in, if you try.

Good luck with you quality time expansion! While you drink, eat and are merry, I'll doggedly pursue my secret conspiratorial aim of making Norwegian the next world language.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse