sAri, the Indian dress

Paul Kekai Manansala kekai at JPS.NET
Thu Dec 23 02:39:20 UTC 1999

Yashwant Malaiya wrote:

> I do remeber having seen some Gandharan sculpture with
> women covering the head. Perhaps through the Roman
> influence, the Greek custom had also propagated to
> Ethipia[1].

> Yashwant
>
> [1] But I'm not sure why there is significant
> similarity between Ethiopian and Indian cooking.

Yashwant,

Isn't the Greek and Roman practice of women covering their heads adopted
after Christianity was adopted?  I can't remember many statues of
ancient Greek or Roman women with covered heads.

Head coverings were worn in ancient times (by both men and women) in
Egypt and neighboring areas of East Africa, the Levant and North Africa.
Maybe originally as protection against the desert sun.

Regards,
Paul Kekai Manansala

--
Check out http://AsiaPacificUniverse.com/